Forum topic

1 post / 0 new
Last post
vfa
Last seen: 6 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 13/03/2004 - 00:00
Shepley Oval- historical article
Body: 
Onslaught- you might want to move this to thread to the Dandenong FC history site. Shepley Oval (previously Dandenong Park) Shepley Oval is named after Harry Shepley, who was an excellent sporting administrator and also an excellent business administrator since he arrived at the age of 31 to manage a factory. The area of Dandenong Park, now known as Shepley Oval was set aside as crown land for recreational purposes in 1881, and by 1976 was owned by council with the ability to grant leases. A grandstand was opened on 1 May 1959. Dandenong’s major sporting teams played on it from 1881 until the early 1900s when the showgrounds at the current produce market were development and returned to it after the showgrounds were relocated to Greaves Reserve and new council offices were planned at the old showgrounds. Among the early teams was a women’s cricket team, the “Sunflowers”. It seems as though the naming occurred in the 50s, probably just after Harry’s death. In 1957 a pair of gates that had been removed from the Springvale Crematorium were purchased and installed at Shepley oval. Perhaps most famously, the powerful Dandenong VFA team, known as the Dandies and later as the Redlegs won several premierships there. from the City of Dandenong website regarding Shepley Oval's history
Edited by: admin on 28/12/2008 - 02:16