Welcome To VFL Footy

If this is your first visit, be sure to register so you can post. Click the register link above to proceed. Also please note that the website is currently being upgraded to a newer version in the coming weeks(s). This may impact on access to the site and the maintenance on the site may reactivate some historical posts.

* Please note that system issues have prevented some emails being sent. If you create an account which is waiting on activation, please send an email to admin@vflfooty.com.

Coburg Tiger move angers council

From the Moreland Leader
Reported by Simon Craig


Full article Click here

MORELAND Council is fuming over cash it spent backing VFL club the Coburg Tigers.

As Coburg's relocation to Craigieburn becomes all but a formality, Moreland councillor John Kavanagh lamented the tens of thousands of dollars spent in recent years trying to placate the Richmond feeder club.

Sport Minister James Merlino all but confirmed the move, reported in the Leader in January, during a visit to Craigieburn last week to announce the $2.5 million State Government contribution to the football training centre.

Mr Merlino said the facility will "bring VFL and perhaps even AFL football to the area, with the Coburg Tigers slated to train and play matches at the new oval".

Defeat and injuries deepen Box Hill's gloom

Photo: John DoneganFrom The Age
Reported by Carley Jellet

Full article Click here

BOX HILL'S horror start to the season continued when the Hawks slumped to their seventh straight loss, against Port Melbourne, 21.14 (140) to 13.14 (92).

The 48-point defeat was made worse by an injury to young Hawthorn-listed player Cameron Stokes, who ended the match on the bench after injuring his hamstring during the third quarter.

Stokes was among Box Hill's best until he was hurt and looked a likely replacement for Hawthorn's Brent Guerra, who will also be sidelined, because of a hamstring complaint.

Coach Barry Mitchell was pleased with Stokes' game before the injury setback. "Probably our best player, Stokes; I think he kicked three goals and did his hammy," Mitchell said.

Alister Neville sure Hawks can soar

From the Herald-Sun
Reported by Chris Mitchell


Full article Click here

BOX Hill captain Alister Neville has implored his teammates to keep the faith, despite the club's winless start to the season.
 
The 22-year-old, who returned to the Hawks this season after two years at Coburg, is desperate to taste his first win as skipper against Port Melbourne at Box Hill City Oval tomorrow.

"The most disappointing thing was early in the year we weren't putting in the effort," Neville said.

"Since Sandringham (in Round 4) we have been having a good go with our attack on the ball and our decision-making is getting better.

"Even though we haven't won, we realise we are improving. By no means is anyone pulling their hair out."

Neville, who is juggling football with his fifth and final year of a commerce engineering degree at Melbourne Uni, has played mainly in the backline this season after establishing himself as a midfielder

Cats VFL players to play first game on MCG

From the Geelong Advertiser
Reported by Sarah Bieske

Full article Click here

GEELONG VFL players Jack Hollmer and Matt Firman will play on the hallowed MCG for the first time on Saturday.

The VFL side will play Coburg in the curtain-raiser to the round eight AFL clash between Geelong and Richmond.

Hollmer said it was a great opportunity for the VFL Cats and shows there is still a place for old-fashioned curtain-raiser games.

"It should be great. I've only been there a couple of times and I've never played there," Hollmer said. "Hopefully we get a few people along to have a look. We're all looking forward to it."

Hollmer and Firman are two of 14 players in the 22-player Cats team that have never played at the MCG before.

But with at least 17 Geelong-listed players in the Cats' VFL side and 15 in Coburg's, the grand final replay is set to be high quality.

Pages