2013 VFL Grand Final - Geelong v Box Hill Hawks

132 posts / 0 new
Last post
NorthPort
NorthPort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 03/11/2003 - 00:00
Posts: 7376
2013 VFL Grand Final - Geelong v Box Hill Hawks

Official discussion thread!

I was hoping Werribee would make it through for the good of the competition, as they still appear to be a club in their own right, whereas Box Hill really aren't their own club anymore with the jumper change, song change and name change etc.

Still it might bring a bigger crowd along or it could work against the VFL, with general supporters less likely to attend a 'reserves' Grand Final.

From what I saw of todays game, it's difficult to see the Hawks really challenging Geelong. I wonder what impact Friday nights game between the two clubs will have on selection.

billythekid
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 1927

NorthPort wrote:
Official discussion thread!
I was hoping Werribee would make it through for the good of the competition, as they still appear to be a club in their own right, whereas Box Hill really aren't their own club anymore with the jumper change, song change and name change etc.
Still it might bring a bigger crowd along or it could work against the VFL, with general supporters less likely to attend a 'reserves' Grand Final.
From what I saw of todays game, it's difficult to see the Hawks really challenging Geelong. I wonder what impact Friday nights game between the two clubs will have on selection.

Dont think an AFL reserves GF played only 2 days after the senior teams play will make a big difference to the crowd numbers.
Whoever loses in the AFL wont be too keen on fronting up again particualy Geelong who I suspect will get done on Friday night.

Robbo
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/03/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 3553

Geelong by 40pts

Borough1874
Borough1874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 20/02/2013 - 22:51
Posts: 544

Mustangs by 10 pts

Wally from Will...
Wally from Williamstown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2009 - 11:55
Posts: 1035

Cats are VERY good but not unbeatable, Box Hill play a similar game, quick & precise movement of the ball with some big strong marks in the forward line, the Mustangs are a good chance, just hope its a good game with a big crowd .....

ravenxau
ravenxau's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 25/04/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 198

Geelong by 30 points - Having watched the two Prelims on the weekend and taking into account that Footscray, St. Kilda and Richmond all plan to field AFL reserves sides in the near future.... just wondering on peoples thoughts on whether a 'stand-alone' club (ie:- Coburg, Bendigo, etc) will realistically ever compete for a premiership. As it is Bendigo are doubtful for next season and we are all aware of Coburg's financial troubles ... I'm not trying to condem any clubs, just looking for discussion on the subject...

Footscray Football Club - Back in the VFL in 2014

riccardo
riccardo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 24/07/2012 - 13:44
Posts: 135

Picked it halfway through the season. The VFL thinks that Geelong reserves vs might-as-well-be Hawthorn will see them to a 40,000 crowd, and they are absolutely kidding themselves! 14,000 max, and a huge Kittens win, to the detriment of the league in general.

Go Borough!

blackrocker
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 16/05/2005 - 00:00
Posts: 578

The only remanent of the VFA that remains in this GF is the White Horse on Box Hills jumper.

BrekkyDJ
BrekkyDJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2007 - 00:00
Posts: 1053

Crowd of 25,000

Geelong by 42 points.

digs
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 31/05/2007 - 00:00
Posts: 2948

riccardo wrote:
Picked it halfway through the season. The VFL thinks that Geelong reserves vs might-as-well-be Hawthorn will see them to a 40,000 crowd, and they are absolutely kidding themselves! 14,000 max, and a huge Kittens win, to the detriment of the league in general.

Unfortunately Riccardo, but that's the way it is going to be. We just have to roll along & tolerate it until they can restructure the whole competition & even then there will be some that are not happy.
Difficult to please everybody in this shambles of a competition.

We might be from the bush. but we ain't green

ravenxau
ravenxau's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 25/04/2013 - 08:47
Posts: 198

digs wrote:

Difficult to please everybody in this shambles of a competition.

Very true - those following a successful club will be happy with the status quo - those not happy will look for their football fix elsewhere (as I did watching WAFL games on ABC).

Footscray Football Club - Back in the VFL in 2014

billythekid
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 1927

The only way a VFL GF would get anywhere near that crowd figure is if the AFL media dept pushed the papers and shows like the Footy Show to promote the match

Ch7 wont as they see the ABC as competition.
The VFL way back in the 1960s had a standalone Seconds GF at the G a week after the main GF due to a draw and from memory it was ST Kilda V Essendon and they only got 17,000 when footy was god.

Sunday may get 20,000 plus but I doubt it.

MegaA
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2012 - 23:04
Posts: 452

Crowd of 16,124 on the weekend.

37 times Grand finalists
16 times premiers
21 times runners up - THE MIGHTY BOROUGH!

I'M PORT MELBURNE BORN,
I'M PORT MELBOURNE BRED,
I'LL BE PORT UNTIL I'M DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vfa
vfa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 13/03/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 3824

Crowd 15,000 at max.
If the cats win on Friday night Geelong will beat Box Hill by 14 goals.
If Hawthorn win on Friday then Geelong will win by 8 goals instead of 14 goals.
For me being an old VFA supporter I rate the personal interest in this game as care factor zero. Geelong reserves v Hawthorn reserves. I have been going to GFs since the Max Papley days. Will meet up at the Great Western Hotel before the game. Will probably spend most of the third quarter in the Locker Room bar.

Wally from Will...
Wally from Williamstown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2009 - 11:55
Posts: 1035

blackrocker wrote:
The only remanent of the VFA that remains in this GF is the White Horse on Box Hills jumper.

Peter Donegan even referred to Box Hill as Hawthorn early in yesterday's broadcast. He repeated the comment later but called them Box Hill the second time. The white horse is also VERY small on the jumper.

Wally from Will...
Wally from Williamstown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2009 - 11:55
Posts: 1035

billythekid wrote:
The only way a VFL GF would get anywhere near that crowd figure is if the AFL media dept pushed the papers and shows like the Footy Show to promote the match
Ch7 wont as they see the ABC as competition.
The VFL way back in the 1960s had a standalone Seconds GF at the G a week after the main GF due to a draw and from memory it was ST Kilda V Essendon and they only got 17,000 when footy was god.
Sunday may get 20,000 plus but I doubt it.

Channel 7 didn't even mention the VFL during the sports report last night, at least Channel 9 had a snippet of vision & gave the result & the opponents for next week's GF.

Borough1874
Borough1874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 20/02/2013 - 22:51
Posts: 544

I'm
Surprised no afl/vfl flog has not mentioned

" why not play this game as a curtain raiser to the afl prelim final."

comeng
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 21/04/2008 - 00:00
Posts: 849

vfa wrote:
Crowd 15,000 at max.
If the cats win on Friday night Geelong will beat Box Hill by 14 goals.
If Hawthorn win on Friday then Geelong will win by 8 goals instead of 14 goals.
For me being an old VFA supporter I rate the personal interest in this game as care factor zero. Geelong reserves v Hawthorn reserves. I have been going to GFs since the Max Papley days. Will meet up at the Great Western Hotel before the game. Will probably spend most of the third quarter in the Locker Room bar.

With more and more AFL reserves teams joining the VFL the sooner it is split into two conferences the better. The conference system I have in mind is:
- 2 Conferences. VFL and VFA.
- Teams play each team in their own conference once. Remaining games in the season are inter-conference games
- Teams in the VFA conference must field a team in the Development league
- Final four in each conference
- A championship game for each conference is played at the time the prelims are played now
- The VFA and VFL conference champions will play each other in the AFL Victoria championship a week after the AFL GF.

As for the game, it is really care factor zero. I might watch it or if the weather is OK I might take my son to the park.

Robbo
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/03/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 3553

www.sportsbet.com.au odds
Geelong $1.38 Box Hill Hawks $3
$1.90 Line is 18.5pts

There are 39 different markets up on the game.

cobrascorer
cobrascorer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 18/08/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 1433

There were at least two references to Box Hill as Hawthorn. But can anyone blame commentators when "Box Hill" looks so much like its controller's outfit? I wonder how much longer will the tiny White Horse be allowed to stay on the jumper.

vfa
vfa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 13/03/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 3824

You will see the Whitehorse on the Box Hill jumper about as often as you would see a hotel in Box Hill.
The last Hotel in Box hill was called the Whitehorse Hotel and was closed in the early 40s.

Robbo
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/03/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 3553

Odds from www.sportsbet.com.au
Geelong $1.38
Box Hill Hawks $3
($1.90 Line 18.5pts)

There are 39 markets not including Norm Goss Medal on the game.

digs
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 31/05/2007 - 00:00
Posts: 2948

Wally from Williamstown wrote:
Cats are VERY good but not unbeatable, Box Hill play a similar game, quick & precise movement of the ball with some big strong marks in the forward line, the Mustangs are a good chance, just hope its a good game with a big crowd .....

Tipped Box Hill a couple of months back & have seen no reason to change my mind. They can only benefit from the two players that will be dropped to make way for Franklin & Rioli.
Just hope the Hawks can win for Damian Carroll, a great player & an even better person.

We might be from the bush. but we ain't green

Borough1874
Borough1874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 20/02/2013 - 22:51
Posts: 544

Can someone please give me odds on this.

Ground invasion at final siren
No ground invasion at final siren.

billythekid
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 1927

Anyone seen much in the way of PR for the GF in the MSM?

Robbo
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 21/03/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 3553

Norm Goss Medal odds from www.sportsbet.com.au
George Horlin-Smith $6
Jordan Murdoch $8
Shane Savage $10
Jordan Shroder,Mitch Hallahan,Mark Corrigan,Billy Smedts,Troy Selwood $11
Kyle Cheney,Jesse Stringer,Jackson Sheringham,Sam Iles,Jonathan Simpkin $16
Shane Kersten $19
Taylor Duryea $21
Mitch Brown,Dom Gleeson,Michael Osborne $23
Josh Walker,Trent West $26
Luke Lowden,George Burbury,Marc Lock,Derick Wanganeen $31
Will Langford,Daniel Pratt $34
Sam Grimley,Cameron Eardley,Ryan Bathie,David Mirra,Jacoson Thurlow,Bryce Retzlaff,Jonathon Ceglar,Joel Hamblin $51
Mitch O'Donnell,Brad Harman,Xavier Murphy,Tim O'Brien $67
Jaxson Barham,Tom Gordon,Liam Tobin,Angus Litherland $81
Matt Sully,Jed Bews,Sam Cust,Jordan Kelly $101
Lachlan Howe $151

blackrocker
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 16/05/2005 - 00:00
Posts: 578

billythekid wrote:
Anyone seen much in the way of PR for the GF ...?

I seen nothing so far. In recent years I cant recall getting any e-mail newsletters from my club about the finals.

vfa
vfa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 13/03/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 3824

Trent West at $26 get on !!!

Wally from Will...
Wally from Williamstown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2009 - 11:55
Posts: 1035

billythekid wrote:
Anyone seen much in the way of PR for the GF in the MSM?

Haven't even seen publicity on ABC TV for the GF?

Wally from Will...
Wally from Williamstown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 07/09/2009 - 11:55
Posts: 1035

Sorry, that was a statement not a question.

cobrascorer
cobrascorer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 18/08/2004 - 00:00
Posts: 1433

There's been NO promotion on ABC tv for any VFL matches.

Pages